of or pertaining to Doris or its people; rustic; pertaining to the oldest and simplest of the three main Grecian moldings (Architecture)
\dor"ic\ (?), a. [l. doricus, gr. &?;, fr. &?; the dorians.] 1.
pertaining to doris, in ancient greece, or to the dorians; as, the doric dialect. 2.
(arch.) belonging to, or resembling, the oldest and simplest of the three orders of architecture used by the greeks, but ranked as second of the five orders adopted by the romans. see abacus, capital, order.
note: this order is distinguished, according to the treatment of details, as grecian doric, or roman doric. 3.
(mus.) of or relating to one of the ancient greek musical modes or keys. its character was adapted both to religions occasions and to war.doric
\dor"ic\, n. the doric dialect.
may refer to:
- Doric, of or relating to the Dorians of ancient Greece
- Doric Greek, the dialects of the Dorians
- Doric order, a style of ancient Greek architecture
- Doric mode, a synonym of Dorian mode
- Doric dialect (Scotland)
- Doric Club, a paramilitary organization which fought against the Lower Canada Rebellion
- Doric Park, a park located in Liverpool, England
- Doric Organ, a 1960s Combo organ produced in Italy
- SS Doric (1883), a British ocean liner operated by White Star Line
- SS Doric (1923), another ship operated by White Star Line
- Amedeo, formerly known as Doric Lease Corp, a German-based leasing and investment company
|See more at Wikipedia.org...|
1. the dialect of Ancient Greek spoken in the Peloponnesus
(hypernym) Ancient Greek Adjective
1. oldest and simplest of the three orders of classical Greek architecture
The Doric dialect.
Pertaining to Doris, in ancient Greece, or to the Dorians; as, the Doric dialect.
Of or relating to one of the ancient Greek musical modes or keys. Its character was adapted both to religions occasions and to war.
Belonging to, or resembling, the oldest and simplest of the three orders of architecture used by the Greeks, but ranked as second of the five orders adopted by the Romans. See Abacus, Capital, Order.
Translate the English term Doric to other languages